Tuesday, July 7, 2009

mushroom ravioli with rainbow chard and herb butter sauce


This is it, my first food blog. Tonight I made mushroom ravioli with sauteed rainbow chard in an herb butter sauce. This colorful rainbow chard came in this week's CSA box from Flying Cloud Farm in Fairview, NC. Isn't it just beautiful?




Chopped chard stems add extra texture to this dish. Begin by warming some olive oil over medium heat in a heavy skillet. I love using my Griswold No. 8 cast iron skillet for sauteeing greens. Sautee two cloves crushed garlic until fragrant, then add the chopped chard stems. Sautee for a few minutes, then add the chopped chard leaves. Sautee over medium until wilted, adding coarse salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.



For the herb butter sauce, melt two tablespoons unsalted butter in a small saucepan. Add two cloves crushed garlic and sautee until fragrant, about one minute. Add 1/4 cup dry white wine and simmer until alcohol dissipates. Swirl in several tablespoons of olive oil to taste. Stir in one tablespoon thinly sliced fresh basil and one tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves, or add whatever fresh herbs you have on hand. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.


I didn't make my own ravioli, but I am sure that someday I will! I love Rising Moon Organics wild mushroom ravioli. After lightly boiling, toss with olive oil, top with sauteed chard, and herb butter sauce.



This meal tastes lovely with a glass of chillled Sauvignon Blanc and some warm crusty bread. Enjoy!


4 comments:

  1. Way to go Carrie (and Brian of course for all the encouragement)! We are also part of the Flying Cloud Farm CSA and I'm always looking for new ways to use all the greens. We've been making a lot of pesto with the kale, but the chard always stumps me. I'm pretty sure I have the ravioli, although I think it may be butternut squash, so we will be trying this tomorrow. Thanks for the idea. Below are two blogs by some friends of ours. You may find them interesting.

    http://peachesandcurry.blogspot.com/

    http://hungrytimestwo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting, Rachel! I will check out your friend's blogs. Isn't the FCF CSA awesome? This is our second year and we really love it. It has definitely helped me expand my horizons in the kitchen. Glad you are enjoying it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that looks so yummy...

    I can't cook to save my soul but I love reading about others' wonderful creations. Thanks for letting me live vicariously...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Linnea! You are so sweet. Live vicariously as much as you want, please!

    ReplyDelete